July 2015 - Day 1 of our 2015 summer holiday in France.We picked up a guide to Caen in our hotel. we decided to follow the William the Conqueror circuit.
This is the Eglise Saint-Pierre.
The 15th century Maison des Quatrans.
The walls of Caen Castle.
Looking along Rue de Geole with Eglise Saint Pierre on the left and Maisons des Quatrans on the right.
The distant twin towers of L'Abbaye-aux-Hommes.
Rue Saint-Pierre. The 16th century Maisons a Pans de Bois.
A closer look at the timber frames.
L'église Saint-Sauveur. Before 1802 this was called Notre-Dame-de-Froide-Rue.
Rue St Pierre.
Another view on Rue St Pierre.
Place Fonterte. Palais de Justice.
Our first full view of the 11th century L'Abbaye-aux-Hommes built by William the Conqueror.
The abbey now houses the city hall.
One of the entrance arches on the western end of the abbey.
The eastern aspect of the abbey.
The hilltop Abbaye aux Dames built in the 11th century it houses Queen Mathilda’s tomb. She was the wife of William the Conqueror.