Continuing our tour of the local National Trust properties. The village of Lacock has featured in many films and TV series.
Approaching the Abbey from the Fox Talbot museum.
The Tudor Courtyard.
Another view of the courtyard.
One of the buildings housed a 16th century brewery.
The print is a bit small but this gives more information.
The Gothic Arch leading into the Abbey grounds.
A closer look at the main entrance to the Abbey.
Lacock Abbey was founded in 1232 as a nunnery. After the dissolution it was sold to Sir William Sharington, who in 1539 began transforming it into a family home. He preserved the medieval cloisters. Sharington’s descendants have been connected with the abbey ever since, the most renowned being William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-77), photographic pioneer and inventor of the negative/positive photographic process.
This is the famous latticed Oriel window which Fox Talbot captured in an early photographic image.
Approaching the entrance to the cloisters.
The doorway into the cloisters above which is the Oriel window.
The magnificent cloisters.
This room was used during the war as a schoolroom for evacuees.
Only three sides remain today. The fourth cloister was removed when the abbey was converted to a family home.
These are the remains of 13th century religious wall paintings. They were lucky not to have been lost when the central heating pipes were installed!
This tower was added when the abbey was converted to a home. The middle floor of the tower was a thick walled strong room to house the owners prized possesions.
A few shots of the village. You will not see any TV Ariel’s here.
Also no yellow lines!
I am sure this street has been used many times for period filming. A lot of the properties date back to the 13th century.
One minute there are not many cars and the next there are.
The George Inn. A very welcome stop for a small drink.
The back street to the church.
Another shot down an alleyway to the George Inn.
The village church of St. Cyriac’s.
24 August 2011
A return visit to Lacock and the Abbey.
A much brighter day than our last visit. The approach to the Abbey.
A corner of the Tudor courtyard.
This was the main visitor entrance on our last visit. It is now the tour exit.
The southern side of the Abbey with the famous oriel window that was the subject of one of the first Fox Talbot photographs.
The Abbey cloisters.
Some of the stained glass window panels in the house.
The southern elevation of the Abbey and the entrance to the cloisters.
Leaving the Abbey to walk around the village.
The High Street. Most of the buildings date from the 13th century.
The opposite side of the High Street.
The junction with West Street.
Looking back down the High Street towards the Red Lion Inn.
The George Inn on West Street.
Church Street and the “at the sign of the angel” restaurant.